Monday, June 21, 2010

Books anyone???

Hello!

Momma has set a new rule for our school this Summer.  All of us kids need to read a book a week.  This probably isn't a problem for some, but I don't care for reading all the time.  I also get brain blanks when it comes to finding good books. 

So, I need ya'll's help.  What are some good books that you would recommend?  It needs to be good reading, not just the 'fluff', as Mom calls it, or easy reading.  I can read easy read books every once in a while, but this is for the good character building type books (and they don't have to be devotional all the time.. fiction is good too!)

So, any good books I should check out??

Love,
Sarah

8 comments:

Ellie said...

Hey,
Gosh I think of all these books, but you have already read them. Umm, what about Calico Captive, or Stream to the River-River to the Sea? Those are really good. Do those help??
love ya tons!!

Atlanta said...

Quentin Durward by Scott
(and any Sir Walter Scott books for that matter. they are early 1800s fiction - but have tons of history)

Anonymous said...

Well, one book I just read that I liked was called "Erie Train Boy" by Horatio Alger Jr.
True, the main character was a boy, but I still thought it was interesting. =) It is pretty fast reading, but it has some really good lessons in it,too!
I'm not sure available it is, though, because a friend lent it to me and she may have bought it several years ago. I guess you could look it up and see if it is in printing any more.

I'll have to think about other books that I've liked and let you know. =)

Love,
Samantha

Fiddlin Girl said...

Thank you all!!

Ellie,
Yes, I have heard of calico captive and really want to read it because I read her other book "Witch of blackbird pond" and really liked it..

Atlanta, thanks! I will look it up and see if our library has it! I have Scott is really good.. probably heard it from y'all! lol!

Samantha,
thanks! Hey, it sounds good! I have read lots of books with boys as main character (somtimes they are more interesting because, let's face it, boys get into more trouble, scrapes, and adventures than girls do! lol! Most girls any way... ;) )

Great! I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

Thanks!!
Love, Sarah

Farm Girl Hannah said...

"Elsie Dinsmore" By: Martha Finley
"Anne of Green Gables" By L. M. Montgomery
"Heidi" By: Johanna Spyri
"Little Women" By: Louisa May Alcott
"A Girl Of The Limberlost" By: Gene Stratton Porter

These are my favorites. My mom calls (what you consider fluff) it Twaddle.

Hugs,
Hannah

PrincessR said...

Did you ever read all the Austin books of Gaskell ones? They are a bit longer, but just as good. :) And of course, my favorite, Shadow Hawk and God King... :):)
Love, R

FG said...

Hannah, thanks!! those sound like great books! I will have to check them out..

PrincessR,
Hiya sis! lol!! I have read the North and South book, but didn't much care for her writing style.. however, maybe I should try another one... lol!
Love you!!

Sarah

Farm Girl Hannah said...

I love God King as well!!!! Great book.

Hugs,
Hannah