Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

First, I should begin by saying I really don't like Mother's Day.   I believe in celebrating Mother's Day, Father's Day, Children's Day - every day of the year.  Of course, that might come as a surprise to some because it's an excuse to party, and as you know, I am a party person.   I love people.   I love talking.   I love snuggling.   I love filling my home with laughter and bodies and chatty voices, and this is nothing new to all of you who know me.   Since that's not new, neither will this item - I am disorganized.   I have tried to work on this negative trait of mine, and in some ways, I've improved.   Or maybe I should say I've found better ways of hiding and covering up my disorganized nature.   :)

Well, this morning, I was reminded of one of the earlier moments......

When the girls were little, I loved sewing pretty dresses and frilly skirts for them.   There is just something about gathering full skirts for little girls that will twirl and twirl in them that gives me such delight.   Naturally, I felt inclined to sew for Joshua after he was born.   However, boys' clothes just don't seem to thrill me like frilly dresses do, and since I couldn't see John allowing me to dress Joshua in twirly skirts, I figured I better go for something different.   I settled on bright, primary colors with cute animals and tractors and trucks.   These were carefully cut to one day be sewn into adorable shirts and coordinating shorts for my darling son.   That was in the spring of 1996.   The spring of 1998 found my dear friend giving birth to a sweet baby boy.   Later that fall, I discovered those cut out pieces of material in a nice bag just waiting to be stitched.   Because they weren't going to fit Joshua now, I decided I'd sew them for my friend's baby boy.   Ummmm, that seemed like an unlikely event in my life, so I settled on the next best thing.   I gave them to the friend - neatly wrapped in the bag with all the instructions.   I smiled and told her I saved her the time of having to cut them out so that she could get right to stitching them.  

I had just solved my first problem with my disorganized nature.   If I can't finish the project, give it to someone who would.   I was so proud of myself and felt such a weight lifted from my shoulders.   Then, in the summer of 2000, I was blessed with another sweet, baby boy.   In the spring of 2001, my dear friend blessed me with that same bag of cut out material - still unstitched.   She decided to follow my lead and get rid of the unfinished projects in her cabinets, too!!   We both laughed, and I was determined to complete what I should have 5 years earlier.  

In the fall of 2002, we were packing to move to our new home, when I once again discovered that same bag of already cut but never been sewn little boy outfits.   Obviously, my son wasn't going to fit into them again, and since I had no babies on the horizon, I learned another lesson in covering up my disorganized nature - give the items to Goodwill so that it will go to someone who probably will never know me and won't be able to give them back in the same nifty bag.   Yep.   That's just what I did, and I've yet to see the items.  

Now, I'm not proud of my disorganization, and I do battle this in myself.   I also have learned better and more honest ways through the years to deal with this.   I guess I shared this story because as I think about it, I realize that truly one of the reasons I never finished those outfits was because I never made the time.   Instead, I enjoyed snuggling and wrestling and playing and laughing and visiting with the dear angels I've been blessed to call my children for the past 19+ years.   Maybe it's not a good excuse for the lack of time management, but it does remind me of all the fun I've had with these dear children.  

If you're reading this, and you or someone you know purchased a bag of cut out baby boy clothes that were never stitched up - enjoy them just as they are.   The same goes for our children.   Enjoy them just as they are because the Master made them perfectly that way!!

Blessed Day,
Prairie Momma

3 comments:

Fiddlin said...

Wonderful story momma!! That is how I want to be!! At least, I want to enjoy them while I can! You can always sew for the grand babies, right?? lol!

Love you tons!!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

oops... Fiddlin Girl!!

Evelyn said...

I love this post Cathy. I do agree with you to just enjoy them, they grow up so fast. I loved the time with my girls. Sometimes I get to wishing I had done some things differently but am so glad that they love me anyway just the way I am. And since I can't change things it is best to move forward and enjoy every chance I get to be with them and their families. Lisa and Laura are truly the greatest blessings God has given me and I am very thankful I was given the gift of being their mother.