Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Costumes!!


We are finally a little closer to making our movie.  Monday our friends came over to our house and we spent the latter part of the morning and afternoon sewing.. ok, well, we probably giggled and talked more than we sewed, but we did get a lot accomplished!

I had never done this pattern that we were using, so it was slightly confusing -no, not trying to be a poet! lol
  After trying to figure it out, we decided it would be much better to just go and make it up as we went a long.  So, we did and it went just fine.  Two of my friends worked on their own dresses, I worked on my other friend's, and she made my servant's cap!  It went quite well.

The funny thing is that I didn't have all of the right sizes. The smallest I had was a 14, but two of my friends (the younger ones) were smaller than that.  Well, we just had to make do, so I cut all of them out to a 14 and we just kept taking bigger seams until we had it finished and it fitted nicely.

On the dress I was doing for my friend, I had several complications.  First of all, she was WAY smaller than a 14, so taking bigger seams was taking a long time.  Poor thing, I don't know how many times I had to take her back to the "fitting room", as we dubbed it, to check to see if I was getting close to a good fit.
  On our 50th time back there, I said, "I feel like a.... tailor, only what is a girl seamstress called?"
My friend just stared at me and said, "seamstress?" HA!! We home schoolers feel so smart!! lol!!

I am afraid that we must have been rather... tired that day!!  Our second "brain blank" moment was when my friend, Ellie, and I were trying to look at the instructions.  Suddenly she said, "Wait, there are only two pages, but there says there should be 3!"  We frantically started searching and I said, much to my other friend's, Susan, amusement, "What?! How dare they! Why, I am going to sue them and get my dollar back."  She thought it rather funny.. lol!
  After much searching, I finally looked at it again and said, "Oh duh, it is front and back!"  Oh, we both felt so smart again!

The other complication that I had was lack of material... I ended up cutting the skirt too small around the waist on Amy's dress.  So, to remedy it, I simply cut a small panel of this light purple material to put in the back.   Then, after sewing it together into a tube for the skirt, I folded part of the green material over the purple for a dart-like looking seam.  Pictures below for better understanding.  I am afraid I don't have a very good gift for describing things! lol  Any how, it worked out perfectly and turned out rather cute.  I put in the sleeves after they left, and will probably put in the blue dress sleeves.  Binding will probably also get done by me, but for hemming I will need them back again.  So, that is the low down on what we did today.  We are just that much closer to getting our movie done!  Now to practising script for their picky director! ;-) lol

Alright, enough of the talking. :-) Here are a few pictures of the day:

The finished products from left to right: Amy- striped dress that I sewed. Me in my cap that Amy sewed. Ellie in her blue dress that still needs sleeves! Susan in her red dress.   Sleeves have been added on Amy's and Ellie's dresses, and Susan's dress will have a sash around it, so it will be slightly more fitted. :-)  Aren't they all adorable?? Sorry it is a little blurry.  It was taken on a cell phone!  If you look closely into the mirror behind us, you can see Josh taking the photo! lol
Amy's dress with the sleeves (though those need a little working on!)
Back:

Close up of my add-in:


Ok, fun pictures of the day! lol

Susan trying on her sleeve before she stitched it.. I was ignoring her. =P lol!

Our mess on the table.


Stitch, stitch, stitch!


Can you see the lovely burn we did on that cover?


Two lovely ladies working hard on their machines!


Caleb and Amy did some clay things:


These are the candle holders that Amy made:


Notions:


Cutting and Ironing.. what next?



Well, that is all for now!!  I worked on my dress today and got it just about finished.  It turned out pretty nice.  I will post pictures of that later, though. Then, I will also post the actual FINISHED items when they are done!!

See ya again real soon!!

In Christ Alone, Sarah (sorry, my thing won't go off of center font.. ugh!)

6 comments:

Atlanta said...

Ooh! How exciting! Ya'll all look beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished costumes and movie!!

Anonymous said...

Looks SO fun!! Can't wait to see more pictures. =)

Love you!

Samantha

Ellie said...

Haha, I laughed so hard while reading that! I still can not believe the part about the 3 pages! I'm so goody. Oh gosh! Love ya, and can't wait to have our movie rolling, Miss Director!

Kelsianne said...

That looks like so much fun! :)

Kelsey

Megan said...

That looks and sounds like a lot of fun! lol, I would have said tailor too. It always seems like I forget the correst term when I need it the most, you know what I mean. :)

I am following your blog, I would love if you stopped by my blog and followed me.

Blessings,
Maggie
www.foreverfindingmybliss.blogspot.com

Fiddlin Girl said...

Thanks Everyone!! We sure had fun..

Maggie, thanks for following us!! When I have a lil' more time on my hands I will go follow your blog. :)

God bless!!!

In Christ Alone,
Sarah

Atlanta, thanks for saying we looked beautiful! I am afriad I didn't think I looked SO great in my cap!! lol!!