Friday, January 19, 2007

Here it comes.....oh, please let them be wrong

Here is my contribution for the day. Below is a little verse I've quickly written while looking out my window this morning. Sometimes these things just come to me in a weird sort of way. This one is sung to the tune those wonderful BeeGees sang, Here Comes the Sun.

Here comes the snow, Little Darlin’.
Here comes the snow, and I say, it’s all wet ( da da da da da da)

Little Darlin’, it’s been so long since we’ve seen grass.
Little Darlin’, I never thought the white could last, but
Here comes the snow……….
Here comes the snow, and I say, it’s all wet……


We are praying that we only get 1-2 inches this time as we still have not seen the ground (except the mud on the road) since December 28th. That's right-3 WEEKS!!! YIKES! It's not that we mind the snow, but it sure does get expensive when you have to feed 3-4 tons of hay a day. We are almost out of our entire winter stock of hay because feeding 21 days is more than we normally would. John tried finding some more around here, and there is none. What he did find was running 133% increase over what we paid a few months ago. We do have lots of cubes, and they love eating those (high in protein, sweet tasting little cigar shaped food supplements), however, too much is a little hard on their systems without the roughage of grass or hay. So, we continue to pray for the snow to melt and more hay to be found at a more reasonable price. It has just been funny to be in this situation after all the rain we had this last year. We ended up with so much left over grass on the ranch we were actually looking forward to winter for once because there was plenty for them to eat - go figure.

However, on a brighter note, we have about 8 calves on the ground so far, and today is actually the due date for calving to begin. God is so caring and good. He knew that we really needed to see those sweet babies out there to remind us that things do not come to stay - His Word always says, "And it came to pass". Life does not stand still even when we are in a panic, and He once again brings forth new life. So far, Rebecca's herd has increased by a little bull calf. She plans on raising out her calf and selling it next year as a yearling (they learn the value of that dollar early and good business practices as well). Sarah's herd has increased as well with a little heifer. She is happy about that because it means more potential calves in the future. Joshua is still waiting......

I am also grateful for a huge wood pile, lots of meat in the freezer (guess what kind???), food in the pantry, games on the shelf, and lots of great company to fill up the next few snowy hours. What more can we really ask for. Even when we can look one way and possibly become anxious and overwhelmed, we can always turn back to Him and be reminded that He is in control. It's almost as if He says, "These are my cows, and I'll take care of them. In the meantime, go enjoy your family, eat some good food, play some games, read some books, sew some quilts, and trust in Me." Ahhhh, now how easy is that...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your little song, but the Beatles are the ones that sang that not the Bee Gees. Although I prefer the Bee Gees over the Beathes anyday. I will probably get booed for that, but I am not a Beatles fan.
I can't believe all the snow you have gotten. I am so happy for you all with all the calves.

Lisa said...

What is wrong with you? The BeeGees over the Beatles? That is so wrong that not even a boo would suffice.

Anonymous said...

I don't like either one. I would however chose the BeeGees over the Beatles also.

Prairie Momma said...

Sorry, Lisa, you're outnumbered. Now, I must say you dated yourself, Aunt Evie, because I only remember the BeeGees doing that song. Of course, I told my children that, and they gave me that look of "who are you talking about." Oh, bother. Now that is a quote from Pooh who seems to have transcended time for all generations. At least I bet we can agree on liking that little fluffy fellow.

Mom gave Caleb this Uncle Wiggly stories on CD, and we have all been so enjoying listening to those in the car. L & L, your children would love them. I believe she ordered them from www.homeschoolradioshows.com. They have a great selection of old stories and books like that.

Lisa said...

Perhaps she hasn't date herself, because I haven't ever heard the BeeGees doing that song.

My being outnumbered doesn't mean I'm wrong, it just means you people don't have a fine-tuned taste for music. Come on Aunt K, you have to speak up, I bet you don't prefer the BeeGees!

Prairie Momma said...

tee hee, you forget I have control of this blog page and I just might delete any Beatle's voters........(Ok, about now you should be hearing a diabolical laugh.....)

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the Bee Gees ever doing that song either. And none of us are wrong, some of us just have beeter taste than others. lol There was just something about the Beatles that I never did like. I do like some of their songs though. And to set the record straight, I don't even care much for the Bee Gees now either. I would just take them over the Beatles.

Prairie Momma said...

OK. This conversation is starting to turn ugly. BeeGees over the Beatles? Don't like the BeeGees? Don't like the Beatles? This is going to require severe monitoring..... lol

Lisa said...

You're right Mom, some of us have better taste than others and then there are the BeeGee likers who have "beeter" taste than others. :) There's just no accounting for taste.

Please don't delete my comment in a dictatorial attempt to stifle the competing opinion, Cathy. (I am picturing you tapping your fingers together and Bwa, hahaha-ing as you read this!) LOL

Prairie Momma said...

Oh, you could hear me clear in Oregon?? The scary thing is, I actually was tapping my finger, too...... I'll let your other comments pass this time as I'm totally freaked that you knew me that well.......

Lisa said...

Don't worry, I could only hear you in my head.

Anonymous said...

Well, ladies. I don't get on the computer much on weekends, so I didn't see this until today (Mon). Lisa, I'm with you. Beatles! But, mostly the early years. I enjoyed all the comments!!!
I made it into work today, but wasn't sure if I'd even get out of the driveway! We've had some very nice neighbors who have graded our driveway 4-5 times so far. One came yesterday and it started snowing as he was working. So, later, we drove up and down the driveway creating a path for this morning. It worked!
Well, I'm not complaining because I know it will be good for all the trees we've planted. But, I think Uncle Len is ready for the white to go away! Love, Aunt K (Kathy)

Prairie Momma said...

I know we're ready for it to go away and the freezing winds that have accompanied it. We had another calf freeze to death last night. It's just so hard on these babies when they are born during a windy night.

Lisa said...

Oh how sad! I hope you all get a bit warmer weather too, but am so glad for the moisture for you.

Thanks for backing me up Aunt K. I knew I could count on you!