For the first time in I don't know how long, I woke to the sun shining brightly. There were no clouds in the sky at all!!! We are praising God and are beginning to feel the warmth pouring down on us to melt this snow. Yesterday, we woke to a dead calf right outside the kitchen window. Poor thing was born in the night with the chilling winds. Next to that calf was another calf just born that morning and struggling to get up and move around - which I had a hard time myself with the fire for warmth. My children watched that other calf all day to make sure he stuck with momma and was moving and nursing. As much as I hated losing the other calf, I shared with John last night that the good from that loss was the desire it placed in our children to watch even more carefully on the other calves out there. Numerous times they would go search for the calf and felt satisfied when they saw it nursing or snuggling with mom. The desire to care for those less fortunate in any way is something you can't be taught from a book but have to learn through experience in one way or another. I hope yesterday planted one more seed for them.
Also, we are still baffled by the deaths of a couple of these calves and have come to the conclusion that the crows may have killed them. Apparently, after talking to some of the other "older" ranchers around here, the crows have been known to go right down and attack a calf and kill it. After a calf is doing well, often the mom will go looking for a little nutrition, and that's when they come in. So, now we're not only on calf patrol, we're on crow patrol. I always found those birds to be a little creepy (maybe it's a Poe thing, who knows), but now I may be finding a valid reason to dislike them. We'll keep you posted..........
Meet Me in Montenegro (2015)
10 years ago
6 comments:
When John came back today, he found two more dead. He has declared open season on crows as this makes 7 out of 17 dead. These were definitely attacked by crows.
I have never heard of crows attacking calves, but I wouldn't be surprised. They are very cunning and interesting creatures. I know, they are your nemesis now, but they are very smart. The most recent issue of Mother Earth News had a whole article on crows and ravens. I hope that you find a way to keep them away form those babies.
What did the article say?
I can't remember the whole thing but it was mostly about how intelligent they are. I can scan the article for you and email it, I can't find it in their archives.
Only if it's not that much trouble. I have no doubt they are intelligent - they still are frustrating us. However, we are praising God that we have 11 healthy, happy calves running around.
Wake to the sun shining?? That's a luxury I only get on weekends! hee, hee.
However, I was home sick yesterday and the sun shone all day long. I can certainly see how someone can get snow blindness!
As for the crows, they are really big out here!! I don't know how to get rid of them except to shoot at them with a shotgun. That will probably raise some hackles, but too much of anything isn't good.
Aunt K
Post a Comment