Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Happy post that brings tears to my eyes

Some people would think I should be happy to post this, but I just can't seem to be as cheerful as I'd like.   In fact, I've delayed in making this post out of a hope that if I don't say it, it won't be true......but no matter how hard this Momma tries, she can't deny the fact that.....





Rebecca turned 20 on Friday.   20!!!!!!  I honestly do not remember saying she could do that.   Now, before anyone thinks ill of me, I have rejoiced at each and every birthday of my dear children.   I love waking up in the mornings to prepare their breakfast and carry it to them on the tray so that they can enjoy one of our favorite family traditions - breakfast in bed on your birthday.   This, year, though, I spent most of the night before in tears because I just didn't want to see this day.   20!!   It seems so old.   It seems like a lifetime ago that she was born.   It seems that she's closer to moving out.   It seems...   It seems.... Well.....

It seems that God has blessed us in a way that we never even thought possible some 20 years ago.   How can I be sad to wish this dear daughter the beginning of a new decade?   A new score?   A new year?   I do rejoice; truly I do as I think of all that we have been given.   Mostly, though, I feel so very humbled that God has allowed me these 20 wonderful years with this baby.... girl.... young lady.....young woman.   Wow!   To see that list and think of all that she has been and has become.   To know that all of it has molded her so that she can continue to become what God desires and longs for her to be as she continues to journey with HIM.   How can I not rejoice?   How can I feel sorry for myself?   In all honesty, I can't because I love who these 20 years have given me.

Rebecca has blessed us with her constancy.   What a strange word to come to mind as I think of who she is.   She is constant in the most wonderful sense of the word.  She is constant first and foremost in her love for Her Savior and Beloved.   She is devoted to spending time with Him first thing every day.   She might drag herself out for a cup of coffee and a quick hello, but then she quickly retreats to her corner with her Beloved's love letter so that she can enjoy time with Him before anyone else.   That time has made her who she is - one that's constant.  She is also constant in wanting to encourage them to grow in God's Word as well as in finding ways to encourage them to become what He desires in all areas of their lives.

She's constant in wanting to serve others - her friends, my friends, grandparents, young mothers, old friends, hurt animals - anyone that she knows needs something she can offer whether it's her time, her listening ear, her money, or just a hug.   She's constant in lifting a hand and working quietly without expecting any word of praise of acknowledgement of what she did. 

Constant has taken on new meaning for me as I sat and thought about what to write to her on the day of her birth.   It has now become a word that is waivers close to being synonymous with.......lovely.   It is who Rebecca is because she's filled with this constancy that resembles beauty, kindness, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, laughter, tears, open arms, loving heart - just about everything a Momma would want to see in her child as she turned 20.

Thank you for these 20 years of joy, and know that no matter what Our Beloved Lord brings in the next 20 years, our love for you will be just as constant.  

With all our hearts,
Daddy and Momma

8 comments:

PrincessR said...

Thank you. I love you!

Johanna said...

Happy Birthday dear Rebbecca! :D

Lovingly,
~Johanna~

P.S. I got your beautiful necklace about a week ago! Thank you SO much, I absolutely LOVE it!

Trisha said...

Happy, happy Birthday! Oh, how you make your Momma proud and the rest of us who know and love you!

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Happy birthday to the best Sis in the whole wide world!!! I love you SOOOOOO much!!

You are SUCH a wonderful woman of God, and your being so constant to Him encourages me to do the same.

I love you!!! Sarah

Carolyn said...

Hey!! I hope all is well in the Heckendorn household. I miss you all tons and tons!!

Happy Birthday to Rebecca!!!!

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my blog:
http://carolynscozycorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/friendship.html

Kathleen said...

I know exactly how you are feeling! The worst birthday I ever spent was when Nate turned 20. I seriously know. Nate turns 30 this year in January. I'm feeling it already. It is like some kind of mirror on your life, that oldest child. I know that it is certainly a blessing to have children who bring you honor instead of shame. We have that blessing in common. Congratulations to both of you!

Prairie Momma said...

Trisha - yes, we are proud that she has become who she is by God's grace. What a blessing our children are.

Kathleen - Thank you for letting me know I was normal. I just really had no idea it was going to be so hard to see her turn 20. You'd think I would have been happy to have a daughter that was turning 20 and had her heart pure and focused on serving God while being content to wait on His timing for her life. Not me. Instead, I moped around and felt sorry for myself that she was growing up. I've since recovered from my pity party and have been able to enjoy the blessing she is instead. You're right - we do have great children!! Congrats on the news we heard about E & D!!! We're so excited!

Johanna said...

Hi Sarah, I just wanted to let you know that I am hosting a giveaway just now, and I really think you would love enter. I am giving away three subscriptions to a wonderful {my favorite} Ladie's Magazine!

I just wanted to let you know, before it closes on the Eve of Christmas, because I know you would really enjoy it!

Have a lovely day!
~Johanna~

P.S. I am so glad you got my package! I do hope you enjoy the contants!