Sunday after church Dad came out, and we started working with Queenie a little- reviewing what she had already learned. Then Dad asked if we wanted to ride her, helped us saddle her up and Joshua climbed on carefully. (I was too chicken to be the first one bucked off - teehee) Daddy walked Queenie around while Josh sat there. Then Josh started using the reins and was "directing" as Queenie followed Dad. She stopped as soon as he asked her to stop and was doing great!! So I decided to give it a go and hopped on. After a while Dad took off the lead rope and stood back. Queenie promptly stopped and wouldn't move for anything!!! Well, I would rather have a new horse not go and stop nicely than go and not stop!!!

As you can see in the picture above, Queenie is ready to foal!! She still has a month to go and we can't wait to see how big she gets then!!!
Chance is our new rooster. We got him from some friends after he had started to attack them- even the Dad. We wanted a rooster, and they wanted to get rid of him. We figured we would give him a "chance", and he could straighten up his attitude with more room and chickens or find his way with the coyotes. So far he has been OK. He has flown at me a couple of times, and I taught him a lesson nicely. Since he has so much room, he seems to have changed. He is very pretty, and I love to hear him crow as I walk to and from the barn.

Rebecca for the Herd
3 comments:
What a pretty rooster? What kind is he?
He is a Silver Wyndotte. (not sure on spelling) We sure have enjoyed him and as we have had hens that wanted to brood last year we hope to raise some chicks in the future.
Rebecca
How fun. You may or may not know that we just hatched about 20 chicks with an incubator for a friend. She also did a batch and none of her eggs hatched, so we are going to do a second batch in the incubator soon. It was so fun to see them hatch and keep them for the first few days of their lives.
The variety that my friend has are Delawares and she has a rooster or two that are Americanas, which I guess are a non-purebred Auracana.
Post a Comment