Thursday, August 09, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Believe it or not - and I'm not sure I can - today we celebrate 21 years of marrital bliss - well, we argued about whether or not they were all blissful years. :) Actually, we both agreed that we've had a few rough years because we were both so darn stubborn - imagine that. Our children love when we talk about those years and share that had we not been, we might not be together now. We were both too stubborn to ask for the divorce and determined to wait for the other one to ask first. Yes, that was us. I can look back now and Praise God that He showed us another plan for our lives and our marriage. We talk about this every year on our anniversary because we want our children to know that there may be struggles, there may be disappointments, and there just might be a few bumps in the road when they are one day married. However, there is One who wants to be a part, if they'll let Him, and when He is it is wonderful!! John and often laugh as we recount those years and realize just how close we came at times to throwing in the hat because it just was too hard or it seemed that it would be easier to quit than to pick up the pieces and try again. Now, we can't imagine any other choice for ourselves. Those years of working- truly working -toward the couple we are today was well worth it. We pray that our own children can walk away with some wisdom gained by our own mistakes and one day be able to say - HAPPY 21st ANNIVERSARY!!! I love you more today than I did 21 years ago and much less than I will in another 21 years!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I think that channeled correctly, stubborness can be an incredible gift to marriage. Being too stubborn to see the other's point of view or to try to change certain aspects of yourself for the better can be difficult, but if your stubborness makes you stick to it for whatever reason, that's wonderful. It's been the same with us a few times in the past, but we are both too stubborn to throw in the towel.

Happy Belated Anniversary to you and John. I hope you had a wonderful day. I can't believe it is 21 years already. I still remember my peach dress from when I was a candlelighter at your wedding!

Evelyn said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! I am so glad you hung in there and made it last. It makes a big difference when both are willing to work on it. I think you are teaching your children an invaluable lesson. Give each other an anniversary hug for me. Aunt Evie

Prairie Momma said...

Peach dress!! We were looking at those pictures not too long ago, and I can't believe how everyone looked then. At the next reunion, I think we should all dig out pictures of those memorable events and throw together a Power Point presentation or something. In fact, I'll volunteer my daughter and make it part of her school work to learn PP. :)

Thank you both for the wishes. We did have a wonderful day. John bought me a beautiful white rocking chair - I told him we need to adopt a baby so I can rock him/her. I bought John a Crokinole Board (http://www.crokinole.com/). It's a great game that some friends have hooked us on. Our children decorated our dining room for a lovely candlelit dinner of Jambalaya, squash fritters, apple slices and fresh peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. What more could you ask for. If we had thrown in the towel all those years ago, some of those children wouldn't be here, and that dinner would not have happened. It's good to think of those things from time to time. Stubbornness in the right way is indeed a good thing. :)

Prairie Momma said...

Peach dress!! We were looking at those pictures not too long ago, and I can't believe how everyone looked then. At the next reunion, I think we should all dig out pictures of those memorable events and throw together a Power Point presentation or something. In fact, I'll volunteer my daughter and make it part of her school work to learn PP. :)

Thank you both for the wishes. We did have a wonderful day. John bought me a beautiful white rocking chair - I told him we need to adopt a baby so I can rock him/her. I bought John a Crokinole Board (http://www.crokinole.com/). It's a great game that some friends have hooked us on. Our children decorated our dining room for a lovely candlelit dinner of Jambalaya, squash fritters, apple slices and fresh peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. What more could you ask for. If we had thrown in the towel all those years ago, some of those children wouldn't be here, and that dinner would not have happened. It's good to think of those things from time to time. Stubbornness in the right way is indeed a good thing. :)